(The Post Millennial) – Following a mass shooting that took place in downtown Sacramento, California, in the early hours of Sunday that left six dead and many injured, authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying those responsible.

The shooting broke out at around 2:00 am Sunday morning near the corner of 10th and K street, according to ABC News. The area is a popular nightlife section of the city, and is just blocks from California’s state Capitol building.

In a news conference, Sacramento Police Chief Kathy Lester confirmed that six people had been killed, and another 10 were transported or self-transported to area hospitals. “We had a large crowd in the area. We don’t know if it was part of a club or an event,” Lester said during the press briefing.

Assisting the local Sacramento Police in the investigation is the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Police are requesting those who were in the area at the time to contact investigators with any visual or other evidence linked to the fatal shooting. Videos taken at the scene and posted to social media show people running through the street as rapid gunfire can be heard.

Kelsey Schar, 18, told the Associated Press that she “saw a guy running and just shooting,” from her window on the fourth floor of Citizen Hotel.

On Sunday morning, Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg posted a message on Twitter, saying: “Words can’t express my shock & sadness this morning. The numbers of dead and wounded are difficult to comprehend. We await more information about exactly what transpired in this tragic incident.”

“Rising gun violence is the scourge of our city, state and nation, and I support all actions to reduce it. Our new Police Chief, Kathy Lester, has made it a top priority, and I stand firmly behind her,” the mayor added on Twitter.

thepostmillennial.com/suspects-sought-in-sacramento-mass-shooting-that-left-6-dead