Melania Trump, the former first lady, recently made a noteworthy public appearance by attending a naturalization ceremony at the National Archives. This event took place amidst her husband, former President Donald Trump, facing charges related to classified documents.
Hailing from Slovenia, Melania Trump holds the distinction of being the second foreign-born first lady in American history. The first was Louisa, the wife of former President John Quincy Adams, who was born in London. Additionally, Melania Trump is the only first lady who became a naturalized U.S. citizen after immigrating to New York City in 1996 on a worker visa, as reported by the New York Post.
“How fortunate to be with the naturalizing individuals and their families as they recite the Oath of Allegiance and become Americans before our great nation’s founding documents,” she told the crowd at the Archives.
The federal judge presiding over his case made a ruling in July, stating that Trump is scheduled to face trial on May 20, 2024. The charges against him pertain to the mishandling of classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago estate.
“U.S. District Court Judge Aileen Cannon appeared to split the difference between prosecutors’ request for a December 2023 trial date and Trump’s request to postpone the trial until after the November 2024 election,” Politico reported.
Fort Pierce has been selected as the location for the initial pretrial hearing in the lawsuit concerning Trump’s classified documents. Following a nearly two-hour hearing in federal court in Fort Pierce, Florida, where Trump’s lawyers advocated for an indefinite postponement of the trial, Judge Cannon stated that she would promptly issue a written order.
Trump’s legal team argued that they require additional time to adequately prepare for what they perceive as a complex case involving a substantial amount of evidence. They assert that the former president will not receive a fair trial prior to the 2024 election, in which he is the clear frontrunner for the GOP.
The prosecutors proposed a December start date for the trial, asserting that the case is not intricate and does not necessitate a lengthy delay. According to Market Watch, Prosecutor David Harbach informed the judge that Trump’s legal team has repeatedly suggested that he should be treated differently due to his presidential candidacy.
“The Department of Justice urged Cannon not to sign off on the Trump team’s desired delay. It was the first time arguments were held in front of Cannon in the unprecedented federal prosecution of the former president, who is also facing charges in a separate case in New York. Cannon has been under increased scrutiny since a court ruling last year that critics said was unduly favorable to Trump,” the outlet added.
odd Blanche, one of Trump’s attorneys, expressed his disagreement with the prosecution’s assertion that this case should be handled similarly to any other case, given that Trump is the primary contender aiming to challenge President Joe Biden.
Although charges have been filed against Trump, the Justice Department has not pressed any charges against Biden, who was also discovered to possess boxes of classified documents and had no prior experience as a president.
Furthermore, in late October, the National Archives discovered a substantial number of emails that Biden utilized under a pseudonym, potentially unveiling a significant scandal that could surpass the one involving the former Democratic presidential nominee, Hillary Clinton.
“Under legal pressure, the National Archives has located 82,000 pages of emails that President Joe Biden sent or received during his vice presidential tenure on three private pseudonym accounts, a total that potentially dwarfs the amount that landed Hillary Clinton in hot water a decade ago, according to a federal court filing released Monday,” Just the News reported.
On Monday, the Southeastern Legal Foundation, a nonprofit public interest law firm, submitted a status report in a lawsuit against the National Archives and Records Administration under the Freedom of Information Act. The report disclosed the overall count of private email exchanges involving Joe Biden, as stated by the source.
The purpose of this legal action was for the organization to obtain access to these emails, following the revelation made by Just the News approximately a year ago. It was revealed that Joe Biden utilized three pseudonymous email accounts during his tenure as Vice President under President Barack Obama.