On Friday, ex-impeachment manager Eric Swalwell (D-CA) said he will sue former President Donald Trump, his son Donald Trump Jr., Rudy Giuliani and Republican Rep. Mo Brooks in a second major lawsuit looking to hold Trump and his allies responsible for the attack on the U.S. Capitol on January 6
A similar suit was filed last month by Rep. Bennie Thompson against Trump, Giuliani and the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys groups
The lawsuit accuses Trump and his allies of conspiring to violate the civil rights of the defendants, According to Axios.
- “As a direct and foreseeable consequence of the Defendants’ false and incendiary allegations of fraud and theft, and in direct response to the Defendants’ express calls for violence at the rally, a violent mob attacked the U.S. Capitol, ” the complaint alleges.
- Swalwell alleges the defendants, “by force, intimidation, or threat, agreed and conspired with one another to undertake a course of action to prevent” Joe Biden from being certified as the election winner and holding office.
- Trump and Brooks are being sued in their “personal capacity.” The lawsuit seeks unspecified monetary damages and a requirement the defendants provide written notice seven days in advance of a rally or public event hosted on an election day.
CNN reports the lawsuit and Thompson’s statements will most likely be correlated by the federal trial court, potentially even before the same judge, Amit Mehta.
Swalwell attempted to persuade the U.S. senate to withhold Trump from running for president, saying Trump incited violence at the Capitol.
Eric Swalwell declares that he doesn't "think we can afford to wait" to impeach President Donald Trump and must do so "as soon as possible." https://t.co/cEqAeGjHJB
— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) January 11, 2021
The Senate did not agree with Swalwell’s claims and voted to acquit Trump.
Swalwell has previously said Trump had “radicalized” his supporters the same way the late terrorist leader Osama bin Laden had, as Breitbart News reported.